16 March 2012

Faeries: Part One

Since St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner, I've decided to draw a series of Faeries. I'm trying to get away from the more contemporary notion of the Fae as cute, happy, helpful sprites and bring back some level of the older, more fearful, somewhat demonic aspect from the Irish legends. My skills aren't fully up to the task, but I'm working on changing that. That said, for this update, I have two pen and ink sketches. The first is a Treant, albeit one who's much younger than the great Ents found in Tolkien's fiction. The second is somewhere between a Goblin and a Leprechaun. It looks more like a Goblin but I gave it a sack filled with leaves, which Fae magic transforms into the mythic Faerie Gold with which they pay humans (and which returns to its leafy state the next morning).



No comments:

Post a Comment